Wednesday, October 30, 2013

scary



A year or so ago, I took a walk.  Earth shattering, I know.  Cliff shattering is more like it.  Cliff Walk shattering to be precise.

Mr. Betty & I were together on this walk.  It was before, during or immediately after the big storm (Sandy), though I'm hardpressed to recall the exact timeline.  I know we ventured out at night to watch an alarmingly high tide or surge or whatever it was creep up, over & across Bowen's and Bannister's Wharves.  I specifically recall the sight of the Clarke Cooke House steps with owner DR's topsiders fairly well submerged.  I specifically recall the canoes and kayaks paddling around à la Venice in an eerie, dark, strangely serene scene ....

But back to the Cliff Walk: the wind & waves were fierce. The Forty Steps were taking a beating.  We never got farther than that (we were soaked!), and that's a good thing.  As it turns out, the stretch between Ruggles and Ledge Road was significantly damaged and remains closed even now, a year later, much to the frustration of many seeking to walk the Walk throughout the spring, summer and fall, i.e., "the season" of 2013, which came and went just as quickly and decidedly as they always do.  

All that's nothing, of course, compared to Sandy-related difficulties and tragedies elsewhere.

Just thought I'd share....