Tuesday, August 10, 2010

space


I was sitting at the farfar end of Sachuest/Second Beach a few days ago wondering why-in-the-world everyone flocks together in that colorfully-crowded center section. I suppose it's as simple as "that's where the parking is" and "that's where the snack bar is" and "that's where the restroom is" — maybe even "that's where the lifeguards are." Certainly, those are practical considerations, especially with little ones in tow. But, out here at the end (about a mile away??), there's more. Or there's less; but, because there's less, there's more. Or I see more (if that makes any sense). Like some guy doing sun salutations. Or maybe sea salutations. Assorted people running by in bare feet. All those cute little birds who run in-and-out with the waves. Are they sandpipers?? Sanderlings?? Whatever they are, and for whatever reason they scurry so quickly on blurry legs in seeming synchronicity, I'm glad to see them. And I wouldn't see them if I were at the other end of the beach. They might be there, but I wouldn't see them ....