Thursday, March 4, 2010

loose ends


Some time ago, I mentioned the Artillery Company, and how one of my neighbors had taken a terrific photo of one of their cannon salutes on Washington Square, and how I was going to ask him (my neighbor) if I could include that photo here ... in this spot/space. He said no, emphatically, which I understand, thoroughly, as he has his own spot/space. To each his own spot/space. In any case, I finally remembered to walk down to the Artillery Company — whose doors were closed, but they're certainly handsome doors (aren't they??). They do open on weekends in the summer (and at other times, I'm sure), and I've been inside, where the display and collection are fascinating. Those cannon salutes are awesome. And that errant apostrophe on the otherwise-handsome sign encapsulating the company's history is no big deal; I wish I didn't notice such things, as they really don't matter (do they??). And, while I'm at it, I'll throw out one more image involving trash, to go with yesterday's subject matter. Oh, and also Wikipedia's description of Dark and Stormy, as weather was a significant topic earlier in the week:

A Dark and Stormy (or Dark 'n' Stormy) is an alcoholic highball style cocktail popular in many British Commonwealth countries, such as Australia and Bermuda. It consists of dark rum and ginger beer over ice. The local rum is usually used, for example, Bundaberg in Australia or Goslings in Bermuda.[1]The drink is also popular in Rhode Island, particularly Newport.